So you are having a party and are determined to make it an event to remember. One of the first things you will likely think about is what your guests are going to eat and drink – and whether you should cater the party yourself
You are inclined to take the “DIY” approach but then it all starts to feel a bit hard, like a whole lot of work and not a lot of time for you to actually enjoy yourself!
Hiring a party catering company may initially seem like an expensive option, but have you thought about the REAL costs when you do it yourself? And not just monetary. There are the obvious expenses like paying for and preparing food, ensuring you have enough plates, cutlery, glasses etc but one of the real “costs” is your time – both before the event when you will spend hours cooking food and getting everything ready BUT ALSO during the event when you spend even more time, cooking, heating, serving and being the host or hostess with the mostest. All of these things take YOU away from the party. You don’t get to sit down and mingle with your friends and family. There is no price that you can put on creating special memories!
Once you think about all of this it can actually be more cost effect to hire a catering company – not to mention you get to enjoy your day, laugh and interact with guests and not have to worry about a thing! If we had to put a number on the people who hire us and tell us it is because they catered themselves last time but never again as they didn’t get to enjoy themselves – it would be at least 50%!
So, now that you have made the decision to hire a party catering company there are a few things to think about before you start making enquiries:
- Know your party date and time, and think about approximately what time you would like the food served and how long you anticipate this would go on for.
- Know your numbers – party caterers generally quote on a price per head so important to know how many adults and children will be at your event (some caterers charge less for children so important to know your numbers to get the most accurate price).
- Have an idea on budget – most catering companies have different options so knowing what you are prepared to spend will help a caterer to recommend appropriate menu options.
- Think about the type of party catering you’d like – do you want finger food, sit-down or a buffet style service?
- Check in with your guests re any special dietary requirements so you have this information at hand when you talk to a caterer.
Other questions that your catering company may ask include details on your kitchen set up and/or space available for them to prepare food or whether you need any additional staff (ie bar staff). It is important to have an idea of this so that you receive accurate quotes.
Once you have a few quotes, a few things to consider in helping you to make the right hire are:
- Choose a catering company who are experienced in catering your specific type of event. Don’t be afraid to ask how many similar events they have done and for relevant testimonials.
- Be sure that you feel like the company understands your needs and requirements. It is important you feel like you are all on the same page.
- Know their health and safety record – do they have the relevant accreditations? Ensure that you are comfortable with their record and approach when it comes to food safety.
- Choose a party caterer whose pricing is simple and easy to understand – ie look out for hidden costs.
- Do your research – look them up online (their website, facebook, review sites) See what others have to say. Consistently good reviews generally mean you are in safe hands.
Just remember that the most important thing is that you get time to enjoy the day. If you are considering hiring an Auckland party catering company, we’d love to chat to work out what you need and to see if we can assist. Feel free to reach out via our website or give us a call on 0800 862428.